Friday 22 July 2011

My summer wines

It is July in Toronto. It's very hot, sticky with heat waves. We're hiding from the scorching heat during the day, but when comes evening we want to enjoy summer on the patios, or backyards with friends.
We love to eat. But what to drink, when it's so hot outside?
First of all my wine should be low in alcohol. So that would be white wines.
Chardonnay, Gewurztraminer,  Riesling, to name a few. Something refreshing and crisp.
 My favorite is Rose. But not rose from California. I love it too, but it's almost too sweet for this weather.
 My preference is Rose from France. We have in LCBO couple of my favorits are http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/details.do?language=EN&itemNumber=12641  and

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/details.do?language=EN&itemNumber=739474

They are crisp,flavorful, have nice body. You can pair it with almost anything.
But if one loves red? Or having meat asking for read? I can suggest Beaujolais. Dry, light and fruity with soft tannins is perfect for meat. And this red served chilled, what can be better?
If you love Italian food as mush as I do, nothing is better than Italian wine with it. But again, considering the weather  something light. For example Sangiovese or Valpolicella. They are well bodied, balanced and fruty.
 They also can be chilled and enjoyed with pasta or pizza.
 And last but not least my latest discovery- Torrontes! Argentinian white. Off dry, aromatic, refreshing, crisp, all you  need for the nice hot summer day. I would pair it with something light like sushi, Thai food, seafood. Or you can try it with some smoked meat.
http://www.torrontes.com/

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment