Sunday 3 July 2011

New discoveries and old wines.

I did another tasting with my friends. This time I really wanted to do Chenin Blanc but I couldn't find it,unfortunately. So, I went blind. I found white Bordeaux, blend of Chenin blanc and Vidal from Pelee Island.With reds I wanted to do Sangiovese and Beaujolais.

My first discovery was white Bordeaux-Mouton Cadet.


The grapes are  :   65% Sauvignon Blanc, 30% Semillon, and 5% Muscadelle, matured 4 months
Fantastically aromatic nose. With citrus and tropical fruits. Nice vivid color. The palate is light and not overwhelming with hint of ripe fruit and nice and rich finish.
With all that I found very challenging to find a food pair for this wine. I had quiche, which balanced nicely. I think mussels would be good as well as white meat.Something light.

The next white I had, I found in our Ontario wines alley  at LCBO.



Blend of Chenin blanc  and Ontario's own Vidal.

Nice and elegant wine. On the nose,floral aromas with hint of herb notes.Dry, but because of  smooth fruit palate you can't feel the acidity in the wine. Lovely lingering finish.





Now reds!
First -  Farnese Sangiovese 2009.


Sangiovese means blood of  Jove (ancient god).
Sangiovese is one of the grapes in Chianti.It is an ancient variety in Tuscany.



Well bodied, well balanced, a little tannic, but fruity well rounded warm wine.It is very Italian and asking for Italian food, such as pasta and meats.


The second red was - Beaujolais Superieur 2009 Bouchard Aine & Fils.


The wine is made from Gamay grapes. Because fermentation is happening inside the berries, the wine has very particular nose. You can smell banana and candied fruits. This wine can be served slightly chilled. This wine is very light so it can be paired with meats, poultry, hearty dishes, depending on one's taste. Also Beaujolais can be served with fruits and as a dessert wine.
On a palate it is smooth with a short finish.





For dessert I had Moscato California Woodbridge 2010.



It was another lovely discovery.Very aromatic, floral with sweet citrus nuances. The wine is light bodied with honey and tangerine on a palate.It is sweet but not too sweet dessert wine. It is good by itself. I served fresh fruits with this Moscato just to balance fruits in the wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment